How do I go about visiting the shelter?

Dog walking is on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat from Noon – 5:00 pm (no appt necessary)

Cat Cuddling is by appointment and you can sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050e4eacaf29a4fa7-catcuddling#/

We do have some days where we are closed or hours vary and those dates are updated on Google.

Special Hours:

March 31st: Open 1-3

Closed: April 5, 6, 14

How do I adopt a pet?

You can view our pets up for adoption here: https://www.cchumanesociety.com/adopt-a-pet/ 

In order to adopt you will need to fill out an adoption application:

Cat application

Dog application

All our animals must be spayed or neutered before going home. They are also vaccinated and microchipped. 

Our adoption fees are: 

Adult Cats: $60.00

Kittens: $75.00

Adult Dogs: $90.00

Puppies (12 weeks of age and under): $100.00


How do I become a volunteer?

We have lots of opportunities for volunteering. You can walk dogs or cuddle cats. All volunteers need to fill out a liability form. If they are under 18, a parent/guardian must sign their liability form. Those under 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. 

If you have a large group you will need to fill out a Group Visit Request and receive prior approval. If you have a group interested in making something for the shelter animals, we have lots of ideas for projects, just ask. 

Occasionally we have other things we could use volunteers help with from working at events, doing yard work, etc. If that is something you are interested in, let us know.


Lost pet

If you have lost a pet, please provide the following information (feel free to copy and paste this in your response). If you have any photos of your pet, you can include those as well, so we can post this information on our social media to hopefully help get your pet back home. 

Your name

Your phone #

Location lost

Description of pet (breed, color, and distinguishing marks)



Anything else we should know about your pet? 

If you find a stray animal, here is more information on what to do: https://www.cchumanesociety.com/lost-found-animals/


Surrendering an animal

**NOTE – WE ARE CURRENTLY NOT ACCEPTING DOGS DUE TO ZERO KENNEL SPACE. If you fill out the surrender form, you will be placed on a waiting list.**

One option is a home-to-home adoption. CCHS does not typically take any animals aside from cats and dogs, so this can be a good option if you have a different type of animal or if your cat or dog is likely to get stressed at the shelter. In order to do a home-to-home adoption your pet must be fixed. If your pet is not fixed, CCHS or KSNAG can sometimes assist with the cost. Home-to-home adoption posts are put on our social media. You provide us with the following information and we can either put your contact information in the post or people can message the shelter and we will pass along their information. For a home-to-home adoption we need the following:

Owner name: 

Owner phone number:

Reason you need to give up the pet:

Is your pet fixed?

Information about the pet to put online:


Description of the pet: (cat, dog, rabbit, etc with breed if known)


Anything else you would like people to know about the pet: (gets along with other animals/doesn’t, likes/dislikes kids, pet’s favorite activities, house/litter trained, etc.)


If you need to bring them to the shelter you will need to fill out the following form, and we will get back with you.

Cat surrender

Dog surrender


Reporting abuse/neglect

If you suspect abuse or neglect, take notes on what you see. Include location, people involved, time, and date. 

Unfortunately CCHS is NOT animal control, so legally we cannot intervene in these situations. If you let us know what is going on we can try to check up with the police, but as much as we want to help, the police are the ones that will need to be notified. We can also call the police for you, but it is better to have the witness contact the police especially if it ends up going to court. To report to the police call 911 and tell the operator it is a non-emergency. It’s best to provide them with as much information as you can, thus why the notes can be helpful.


Do we offer assistance with euthanasia?

No, you will need to contact a veterinarian.


Do we offer assistance with vet bills? 

Unfortunately CCHS has a lot of bills from our own animals, so we are not able to offer assistance with vet bills. You can try to work something out with the vet, and many people have had a lot of luck with Facebook fundraisers or GoFundMe campaigns. 


Do we offer assistance with spay/neuter?

For cats contact KSNAG. Call 906-296-9144 and ask for Dawn. 

For dogs we can often help depending on how much funding is available. Please provide us with the following information:

Your name: 

Your phone number:

What kind of dog/size of dog

How much we assist with depends on the size of the dog. We only offer vouchers through Copper Country Vet Clinic and Northland.


I’d like to donate…

Things we DO NOT accept:

Returnable cans, Our family or most other labels, used litter boxes/litter scoops, pillows, mattresses, cushions, any furniture, newspaper, anything expired, open bags of pet food or treats

Things we DO accept:

Sealed bags of food, canned food, pet toys, bedding (aside from pillows), cleaning supplies

Our biggest needs are typically paper towel, bleach, dish soap, hand soap, cat litter, equine pine pellets (for cat litter) 


Still have questions? We will get back with you as soon as we are able to. Bear in mind we have a very small staff, so please be patient.